18 June 2007

florence, part 1

our train arrived from pisa at midnight. i strapped my pack on and put on my iPod to listen to my new city theme song: broken social scene's "ibi dreams of pavement (a better day)." the song errupts into joyous shouting and i cannot contain my elation. i literally jump and punch the air in triumph. i am finally in florence, the city i've dreamed of seeing since my childhood (my favorite movie growing up was based in florence and ever since then, i've dreamed of coming here. so i head down a street without glancing at a map, determined to find the arno river. we have no reservation, no idea of where to go but i have to see the city just a little before i can rest easy.

we wander through the piazza of the duomo asking every hotel in sight if they have room, which they don't. finally, we get a guy's number from lonely planet and he walks us to a little hotel that charges us 30 euros a head for 2 huge private rooms with a bath tub. i have never felt so good after a shower/ bath (of which i had both) as i did that night. i sank into my bed and felt my body unfold itself and relax into a feeling of security and success.

the next day found us just as lucky. we wandered about the city market and saw florentine goods from local vendors. i bought a beautiful green scarf and then had pesto gnocci for lunch. we saw the towering green and white marble duomo (cathedral), its steps littered with people. once i knew where the river was, it was like an auto pilot driving me through the city. i knew which direction to turn to see what i wanted. about 2 blocks after the duomo, i turned right on a whim and we found ourselves in the piazza della signoria, a square bursting with people and beautiful statues. it is near the galleria degli uffizi and ponte vecchio.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

ponte vecchio is the bridge that crosses the arno river on which gold jewelers have set up shops for centuries. when i was in high school, i sang an aria about a ring purchased here, so my excitement was unreal. i was facinated by the glittering beauty of the shops built off the sides of this old bridge. we walked up via guicciardini to the palazzo pitti and viewed the gardens. we saw beautiful statues and my first overlook of the city of florence. the duomo dominates the cityscape, but the city stretches on with its orange rooves built into the greenery of the surrounding hills.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

3 comments:

josiemac said...

Hey Emily! I have to tell you that I took pretty much the exact same picture of what's his face with medusa's head - I did a painting from it in college that I considered my best painting ever, and then it was lost when I fedexed it from school to baton rouge. Anyway, I also listen to broken social scene - my favorite is anthems of a seventeen year old (i think that's what its called), but i'll have to download the one you're listening to. Enjoy Florence! have you read a room with a view by E.M. Forster? if not, read it while youre there! love, josie

LisaJo said...

Em-
It sounds amazing! Don't rush through Florence! I was only there a day and a half. Had a pension room, with balcony, overlooking the Arno, half a block from the Ponte Vecchio (sp?). Anyway, didn't even get to the Uffizi, and it was bombed by terrorists two weeks later. Absolutely the MOST incredible city!! I also think you might try to make room for Rimini. It's on the Italian Riviera, so to speak. Beautiful beach town, incredible views, great night club tucked into the side of a mountain - one whole wall of glass - you can see the sun come up over the ocean. Breathtaking. Flourish, bloom, blossom - - - it sounds like you are having the trip of a lifetime!

Anonymous said...

Em:

Thanks for the invitation to read your blog on your trip. I loved all of it, but your thoughts about New Orleans were the most touching for me. I love the photos the you are taking, what a great eye you have for art and landscape perspective.

Taking the time and the risk to live your dream rather than just to sit and talk about what you want to be doing with your life is really BIG! You will not regret taking this action step. You commented that nothing will be the same, that is your truth. As I see it, the experience of walking out your dream and learning what is important to you in them brings about a depth of self-awareness, a change in character and character defects in a way that life begins to move through you and for you.

Have a wonderful trip!

You are my heart, love Dad